The Chemistry of Happiness
This morning, on Your Caregiving Journey, Elizabeth Lombardo, author of A Happy You: Your Ultimate Prescription for Happiness” joined us to answer the question: How much of our happiness can we control? (You can listen to our show via the player at the bottom of the post.)
Elizabeth shared research which shows that we about 40% of our happiness is within our control. Our genetics and our circumstances affect the other 60%.
So, how do we make the most of the 40%? Elizabeth shared some suggestions:
1. Set goals which shoot to change a mindset or perspective or behavior for the better.
2. Make your happiness a priority.
3. Let go of “conditional” happiness, i,e., believing you can have happiness only if (you have money, you have a big house, you have really great family members).
4. Take charge of your happiness; avoid letting others determine whether or not you have a good day (or a good life).
5. Be confident. Belief in yourself. You have the power to make positive changes in your life.
After you’d had a chance to listen to the show, please feel free to share any feedback or insights.
- During our show, Elizabeth indicated she could not find research that addresses the challenge of being happy during a caregiving experience. Hurray for us because we’ve got a research project about caregiving and happiness under way! Join us–you’ll help us learn how we increase happiness during a difficult time. The Caregiving Happiness Project will help you set goals which can change your perspective.
- On Saturday on Table Talk at 9 a.m CT, we’ll discuss this question: If my caree is not happy, does that mean I’ve failed in my caregiving role?