Diarrhea-Free Day!

That’s it. That’s my post. Ground-breaking stuff! And, mom ate a full dinner tonight. Probably one of those posts that only someone who has cared for a person with two weeks of 11-20 diaper changes a day could appreciate, but in my little world, today is a good day!

Nurse said everything looking better, except she’s hearing “crackles” in both of Mom’s lungs. We’ve had her up a bit the past few days. Hopefully, they will clear.

10 thoughts on “Diarrhea-Free Day!

1. Avatar of The Unit Known as ShandiThe Unit Known as Shandi Post author

And yet, I’m thinking, “How could I have better prevented the “crackles” in her lungs. She has a CPAP, and we haven’t been using it the past few days because of her agitation. Haven’t had her up much until the past 2 days, because of the numerous changes required. Maybe using less of the anti-anxiety medication would have helped her breathe more deeply. Oh well, you do what you can do! She’s beaten the odds to be here right now. It’s a journey, and we’re on it together.

2. Karen

We all second guess ourselves and do the “could have, should have” thinking. (I still do.)

The bottom line is that you do the best you can with the knowledge and insight that you have at the time.

You mother has beaten the odds against a couple of killer infections. The fact that she is able to eat and no longer has the diarrhea is very encouraging. And this may help with the other problems.

I know it’s been an emotionally and physically exhausting time for you (I’ve been through this, too), but it’s so wonderful that you were able to be with your mother. I hope that you ill be able to get some rest.

Shandi, just keep taking each moment as it comes and you’ll keep doing great (just as you have so far). Take care!

Note to Karen: I just said almost the exact thing in my response to Meryl! Great minds think alike!

4. Meryl

I am glad that your mom is doing better in that aspect! Hopefully everything else will fall into place. Diarrhea on an everyday basis can be very draining on the body and make a person very ill let alone feel very fatigued. I hope your mom continues to improve and it’s nothing serious with her lungs.

5. Jane

Shandi:

I’m glad your mom is doing better. I hope the crackles in her lung go away also.

Jane ~ mom to Nicole, 16 yo, VSD, PAH, Eisenmengers, EDS
    Troubles are often the tools by which God fashions us for better things.

6. Sharon

I agree with everything Karen said. Don’t engage in the “could of should of” thinking. I too have been there and done that especially since my husband’s death. I think we all think we have more control than we actually have in these situations.

You are a wonderful daughter. I am glad your Mom is doing some better.

Hi TUKAS–I think the hardest part can be the understanding what we can control and what we can’t. What’s going on isn’t due to what you haven’t done or because you didn’t prevent. This is the natural part of life and life as it ends. You’re in control of keeping your mom comfortable. Continue to focus on that. Continue to trust yourself and trust the natural process of life as it ends. Your mom trusts both. :)

8. Unit Known as Shandi

Thank you, all. You told me exactly what I would have told you about the “shouldof, couldofs”, but sometimes, especially when I’m tired, it’s hard to listen to my own advice. That fact that she’s alive at all is astounding, so we must have done a few things right! The Hospice nurse that saw her today said that the crackles have improved since yesterday (I did use the CPAP with her last night, as her agitation is slightly better). No hallucinations today, although she is confused. She told me that I’m amazing, that she loved me, and her smile is back. We are moving beds back to separate rooms after me sleeping beside her since July 2nd, and trying to get Mom’s daily routine (and mine) back to “normal”. She’s eating and drinking well.
    Hospice is sending and OT and a PT out to help with figuring out transfers and toileting, now that Mom is vocalizing when she needs to go. She can’t stand at all at this point. We have a Hoyer lift, and I imagine we’ll have to figure out something with that.
    Seems like a small challenge in the face of all the rest!

9. Avatar of JenniferJennifer

Shandi, hi:
    Everyone’s said anything I’d also contribute so here’s one . . . Keep on Truckin’!
    Your Mom is a lucky lady, and you’re marvelous!
    J