To help you find the best facility for your caree, U.S. News & World Report today released its fifth annual Best Nursing Homes ratings. The ratings highlight the top nursing homes in each state and in nearly 100 major metropolitan areas; you’ll find the ratings here.
In addition to its ratings, Best Nursing Homes includes a step-by-step video to walk you through the process of selecting a nursing home. Advice includes:
- Visit homes at different times and on different days of the week to make sure residents are occupied throughout the day;
- Look for signs that staff has a close relationship with residents, such as calling them by name and making sure they eat;
- Ask to see inspection reports, then ask how any safety or health problems were resolved;
- Review hidden costs, such as physical therapy or dentist appointments.
I would add that convenience is an important piece of the selection process. Your presence greatly influences the care given; a facility that’s close means you can visit often and regularly. You know your caree’s needs best; when you visit as often as you can, you can continue to advocate on behalf of your caree. You also can participate in your caree’s quarterly care meetings, a family council and support groups. You’ll also form relationships with the administration staff and CNA’s, which can be so helpful when you have concerns. (The staff at facilities are required to meet quarterly to discuss your caree’s care and treatment; you can attend these meetings.)
To create Best Nursing Homes, U.S. News drew on data from Nursing Home Compare, run by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the federal agency that sets and enforces standards for nursing homes. U.S. News awarded the “Best Nursing Home” designation to homes that recently earned an overall rating of five stars, the agency’s highest. Each home is also rated separately on quality of care, health-inspections record, and level of nurse staffing.
What additional suggestions would you offer to a family caregiver looking at nursing homes? Please share your thoughts in our comments section, below.
–You’ll find more blog posts and tips about nursing homes here.
- Fat Lip, Big Mouth (caregiving.com)
- The Future of Caregiving: A Community Care Squad? (caregiving.com)
- The Future of Caregiving: A Designated Family Caregiver? (caregiving.com)
- Join Our Cruise: November 11-15, 2013 (aftergiving.com)
- Help! I Just Realized My Mom Needs Help! (caregiving.com)
- CBS Sunday Morning Profiles a Young Family Caregiver (caregiving.com)