First Thursdays: Tell Your Story
I met my niece for lunch on Friday, who shared about a story-telling event she recently attended. Individuals signed up the tell a story about themselves during a seven-minute presentation.
Ooohh, I said. What a great idea!
So, we’re going to start Story-Telling Thursdays on CareGiving.com. Here’s how it works:
1. We’ll use Google Hangouts for our Story-Telling Thursdays. To participate, you’ll need a webcam. You also must be caring for a family member or friend.
2. Story tellers will have seven minutes to tell a story about themselves. The story can be about caregiving. Or not. It just has to be about you. A good story has a beginning, middle and end. The best element of a good story is vulnerability.
3. We’ll share three stories on the first Thursday of every month for a show that airs at 8 pm ET (7 pm CT, 5 pm PT). The event will air live and will be recorded. To participate, you must be available for about one hour, beginning 30 minutes before our show airs and then until the show ends.
4. Story tellers can read their stories or refer to notes. The story must be prepared and must be told within the allotted seven minutes.
5. Some questions to ask yourself as you consider whether or not to be a story teller:
- Am I ready to tell this story?
- Do I understand my story?
- Is this venue (a virtual one) the best audience to tell my story?
- Do I understand what I want by telling my story?
- Do I understand what my story means?
You don’t have to have the answers to all these questions but they help you think through your story and your readiness to tell it.
6. To sign up for our first Story-Telling Hour (Thursday, June 6, at 8 pm ET, 7 pm CT, 5 pm PT), just complete and submit the form below. We’ll choose three for our first show and schedule others for our next show (Thursday, July 11). (We’ll adjust the timing of our July show because of the Fourth of July holiday.)
- Now Available: The Caregiving Years, Sixth Edition (caregiving.com)
- ARGH: It’s Not About Putting Your Life on Hold (caregiving.com)
- Get Help So You Don’t Miss Your Life (caregiving.com)
- Now Available: After the Diagnosis, a free eBook (caregiving.com)
- Long-Distance Caregiving: Tips for the Check-In Call (caregiving.com)
- Video Chat Friday: Working and Caregiving (caregiving.com)
- Caring for Two and Starting a New Job (caregiving.com)
- The Whole Person (caregiving.com)
- Am I Failing? (caregiving.com)