Depression Almost Won Today
I woke up this morning and knew it was going to be a bad day. I didn’t want to move out of bed. I am not sure why I felt that way but I did. I didn’t want to get up, I didn’t want to go food shopping or figure out what to eat for the next few days. I wasn’t due to see Dad until after 3 p.m. and take him to rehab. Pulling the covers over my head was better.
At 11 a.m., my husband told me the time and asked what was the matter, was it something specific or just the depression. I said it was the depression and he told me it was a pretty day out and the dog needed to be walked. Then he left
I reluctantly got up showered and walked the dog.
Ate and decided to lift my spirits by going to the farmer’s market. I haven’t been there yet this season and maybe it would get me through the day.
I drove off crying.
When I got there I pulled myself together and cruised the market. The berries did not look so great but the summer squash and potatoes looked good.
Often at the market a vintage booth is there with a wide variety of apparel. I decided to give a look and found a great denim skirt which is embroidered in lots of bright colors with all kinds of designs. It was my size in perfect condition and only $20. I actually debated about getting it but I decided that maybe God was sending me a reward for getting out of bed.
The day continued to get better, did the food shopping, even unpacked it all. I went to visit Dad and took him to rehab. He was in good spirits and we had a good visit.
So it was good that I got out of bed.
In terms of visiting Dad my therapist and I discussed that I am probably not ready to go every other day. But we did discuss different ways of visiting him without making it so draining on me. Hopefully this will help.
- Depression and Caregiving (caregiving.com)
- The Guilt Fairy / Anniversaries (caregiving.com)
- Frustrating Night (caregiving.com)
- Kindness – Every Little Bit Helps (caregiving.com)
- Limits (Bedtime, Healthcare Workers, Self) (caregiving.com)
- The What If Fairy (caregiving.com)
- Overcoming Procrastination (caregiving.com)
- Slots? Or I Don’t Know What to Do with Myself Today (caregiving.com)
- Worry, Stress and Tension: How Do You Deal? (caregiving.com)