How do you tackle the stuff so the move can happen?
Turn to professionals who know just how to move your carees from a 10-room house to a two-room apartment. Senior move managers specialize in helping older adults downsize, which means they have expertise in de-cluttering a home filled with forty years of knick-knacks and newspaper clippings. The National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM) represents these professionals whose business makes your caree’s move easier.
According to the association, senior move managers:
- Develop an overall move or “age in place” plan;
- Organize, sort and downsize;
- Customize floor plans;
- Arrange for the profitable disposal of unwanted items through auction, estate sale, buy-out, consignment, donation, or a combination of the above;
- Interview, schedule and oversee movers;
- Arrange shipments and storage;
- Supervise and oversee professional packing;
- Unpack and set up the new home;
- Help with related services, such as cleaning, waste removal, shopping, senior escort, assisting with selection of a realtor and helping prepare the home to be sold.
You can hire a senior move manager to orchestrate the entire move, from organizing, packing, moving and unpacking. Or, you can use a senior move manager to simply pack up your caree’s home. When interviewing a senior move manager for hire, NASMM suggests asking the following questions:
- How long have you been providing Senior Move Management services?
- Have you participated in any formal training programs?
- Are you fully insured for liability and workers’ compensation?
- How do you charge? (Fees should be provided in writing to the consumer or responsible party prior to providing services).
- Will you provide a written contract?
- Can you provide references?
- Are you a member of the National Association of Senior Move Managers® (NASMM)?
To learn more and search for a senior move manager in your caree’s community, visit www.nasmm.org.
- “The More I Think About This… (caregiving.com)
- Five Questions to Determine Frailty in Your Caree (caregiving.com)
- A Move for Mom (caregiving.com)
- A Promise that Can’t Break (caregiving.com)
- Letting Go So You Can Move On (caregiving.com)
- Tackling the Driving Dilemma (caregiving.com)
- Oblivia… (caregiving.com)
- The Beginning (caregiving.com)