Birthday Celebration: Take a Risk

skydive-101771_640Every day this week, we’re celebrating CareGiving.com’s 17th birthday with activities and prizes, including a grand prize of $300. We’re mingling our birthday celebration with our ability to disrupt.

Today, we’re celebrating and breaking to disrupt our destiny by taking a risk. It could be a little risk or a giant one. It could be saying “hello” to a stranger or confiding in a trusted source what’s been weighing on your heart for way too long. It could be saying “Yes” to an action or a relationship which terrifies you because it moves you out of your comfort zone or saying “No” to an action or relationship which no longer fits in your life.

Once you decide on your risk, let us know in our comments section. When you post a comment here, you’ll be entered into a chance to win one of our daily prizes and one of our grand prizes. To win a daily prize and/or a grand prize, you must be a family caregiver, a member of CareGiving.com and participate in one of our daily disrupt activities. Not a member of CareGiving.com? It’s easy and free to join; just go here.

Congrats to the winners of yesterday’s daily prizes:
@kreisler won a copy of @ejourney’s eBook, Caregiving in Five Lines;
@brilea5029 won copy of our eBook, An Anthology: Help, Comedy, Forgiveness, Gifts, which features the stories of family caregivers;
@comicvixen won Take Comfort and Take Comfort, Too, the MP3s, audio versions (in my voice) of my books, Take Comfort and Take Comfort, Too.

Look for an email late this afternoon with your win.

And, I’ll announce our grand prize winners on the website tomorrow (August 10) at 2 p.m. ET (1 p.m. CT, 11 a.m. PT).

Resources
Learn about our week-long birthday celebration, including our eligibility requirements to win the daily and grand prizes, here.

Reminders
Be sure to share what caregiving is like for you in our annual family caregiver survey. Take our survey here. Please ask other family caregivers you know to complete the survey, too. (Thank you!!)

Profile photo of Denise

About Denise Brown

28 thoughts on “Birthday Celebration: Take a Risk

1. Profile photo of RichardRichard

Risk? My risk revolves around my brothers who are going on the upcoming Caregiving.com Cruising the Bahamas cruise in November. After they started looking into the shore excursions they were like an arrow hitting the bulls eye, Diving with the Sharks and Diving a Ship Wreak. They can not wait to go on these and they have been pushing me to get dive certified so we can have a brothers day out. For this to happen I need to do several things:

1) Get a doctors approval for the dive school.
    2) Find out if I’m even able to do this with my Intrathecial Catheter Med Pump. If so what is the dive depth limit.
    3) Get registered with Dolphin Dive.
    4) Get the requires gear. Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Booties.
    5) Take the at home/internet portion of the class.
    6) Take the pool training session
    7) Finally take the open dive training/test in either Lake Tahoe or in the Pacific near Monterey Bay

So if this a risk, yes because for me anyone of the above steps can kick me
    out and would put a stop to what may be the last “Big” brother thing we do together and since Jim turned 18, I can
    count on my big toes/fingers, if that the number of “Big” things we’ve done together.

I can’t wait for this. These are all items on my “101 Things To Do List (101TTD).” I just hope Dr. Stephens says, “Yes, it’s OK for you to dive. Just keep it above the 200′ depth mark.” Look forward to the cruise, the dive(s) and in meeting all of you that are going. And to those of you who can’t make it, you are all on my 101TTD for the next gathering Caregiving.com has.
    Namaste’
    \ : ^{ ) >.

• Profile photo of CasandraCasandra

Very awesome, Richard! I am hoping the doctor says you can go. Before Marc got sick we had plans on going to Alaska and working for the summer. One of the things I was super-excited to do was to deep-sea dive. However, I don’t swim. Not because I cannot but because of a traumatic experience that left me with a paralyzing fear of water after it happened. Slowly, I have gotten back into swimming because Marc loves the water. Now, with his seizures, I am not so optimistic that we will get to do this but I am hoping that once all is said and done, I, too, can get certified and realize that dream.

Also, keep in mind, even if the doctor says you cannot dive, you can find a way to create your own “Big” brother moments for yourselves that don’t involve diving. I am sure there are many more things that you can do either on the cruise or after getting back from the cruise that will be just as meaningful and heartfelt as this opportunity.

Much love and luck to you!

2. Profile photo of ChrisChris

I am taking a risk today to publicly announce that I am going on a 90 day weight reduction plan. Sunday August 11th will mean that we are 90 days out from our 1st and annual Caregiving cruise. TLO and I are both excited to meet some of our extended family at Caregiving.com, yet I want and need, to be able to fit into my Purple Jacket on the Cruise The Purple Jacket has been a symbol of my Caregiving journey with Father Orlando and it has been in the closet for quite sometime. (over five years) By taking this risk and proclaiming my desire and willingness to commit to the weight loss and regular exercise program in a public forum, I am really stepping outside my comfort zone.

Ironic that I am talking about something in the closet that needs to come out. :)

By wearing the Purple Jacket comfortably it will give honor to my Caregiving journey with Father Orlando because I know I will be back at the same weight that I was when he was alive. He told me befor he died not to let his death bring back the 100 lbs that I had previously lost. Fitting in to this jacket will make TLO happy too because he is concerned about sedintary ways.

Its time to take care of myself as well as I take care of others. Its time for ‘The Purple Jacket’ to come out of the closet!

3. Profile photo of PegiPegi

My risk is small in comparison. I have not felt well for over two weeks. Went to Doc on Mon (was really hubby’s appointment) and found out while I had my sinus infection/”bug” combo with no appetite that by not eating and only drinking ice tea, I was now dehydrated. Duh! Tea is a diuretic; oh well score another point for my grey cells failing. For the past week I’ve been eating again and on Doc’s advice drinking only Gatorade. Expected to feel better by now, but was dizzy again this morning. It comes and goes, and I have been ignoring it and trying to feel human in spite. I can’t be sick, I can’t go the the hospital, I can’t take leave my husband alone. He’s still having Home Healthcare. Here’s where my mini risk comes in: when his PT came today, I asked him if he would be kind enough to take my blood pressure. He happily did along with my pulse. Pressure was a bit better, but pulse was racing. I mean racing to the point that he took it twice and mumbled about the ER when I told him I’d call doc on Monday. I told him I do suffer from anxiety as the second pulse taking was even worse. He quite cheerfully, and in a comforting way told me to go relax and he’d take the pulse again after he was finished with the PT. I came here to catch up while i waited, trying to distract myself. Now anyone with anxiety knows, that is nigh on impossible, once you’re in a frenzy. What am I going to do? Who am I going to call? Take care of hubby, ER…and round and round. In spite of myself, my risk paid off. My cheerful little PT man just redid my pulse and it was normal. Sounds a bit whimpy for a risk, but it was huge for me to ask when afraid of the answer. Thank God, and I do, that all is relatively well.

• Profile photo of TrishTrish

Pegi, I’m so glad your pulse turned out normal. You have had such a stressful time of it and I’m sorry that you’re now sick. You are in my thoughts and I hope your health returns STAT. :-)

• Profile photo of CasandraCasandra

That is not a wimpy risk at all. That is great because as everyone keeps telling me, we need to take care of ourselves, otherwise what good are we to the people who need us. So, kudos. But still, CALL THE DOCTOR ON MONDAY! Yes, I yelled at you :) I recently just made my own appointment at the free clinic so I can get checked out since I have no insurance, as I am having to pay for my husband’s insurance through COBRA which just for himself is upwards almost $400 a month. Insanity! But it is good that we take care of ourselves and you made a wonderful first step. Second step, call the MD. You may want to drink water, too. I know Gatorade is the go-to when someone is dehydrated but that shouldn’t replace water. Does sound like a sinus infection and you may need some antibiotics before you can start feeling 100% better. Feel better!

• Profile photo of PegiPegi

@Casandra, thanks for understanding. It was major for me, denial is one of my armors. The take of yourself first, as you know is not always as easy as it sounds. Glad to hear that you too, made an appoint. I appreciate the yelling, sometimes it takes a smack upside the head; decided to call or go Tuesday if it persists. RN comes for hubby again Monday, so I’ll have her check. Finished a regiment of antibiotics Tuesday for infection. Have to stick with the Gatorade. Doc doesn’t trust me on water. A few years ago had a milder version and drank so much water ended up overhydrated and had to eat spoonfuls of salt! So I’m mixing my glass half and half. COBRA sucks, had to have my husband on it waiting for Medicare to kick in, with his age and conditions was $700.00 a month! Luckily I was working at the time. Hope you get yourself in good health, and keep hubby going strong!

• Profile photo of ChrisChris

Peg, I connect with what you are saying 100%…I experience vertigo and dizziness and its because I’ve let myself get dehydrated…If you need a hand, we’re just around the corner!

• Profile photo of PegiPegi

@Chris, can’t tell you how much your kind offer means to me. It’s good to know in a pinch, I have you so near. Our other friends don’t really understand the caregiving gig. Likewise if you or TLO ever need anything we’re around the same corner! Lunch someday if we ever get the latest mess straightened our. You also need to introduce me to this Ice Cream Parlor you keep mentioning, I’m addicted.

• Profile photo of ChrisChris

The Ice Cream Palor is in Wilton Manors, we can go at any time…however, right now I am taking a break from Ice Cream so that I can fit into my purple jacket! :)

• Profile photo of PegiPegi

@Chris, we’ll wait until you can wear the purple jacket on the outing….we’ll treat to celebrate you victory!

4. Profile photo of tiredamy2007tiredamy2007

My risk was yesterday. I was talking to my dad’s primary care’s nurse. She is new and she was not a nice person. I told her what she needed to do and that i wasn’t going to take no for an answer. She went to a speech about how i should have a doctor in my town etc. So i told her that i would be sure to bring it up with the doctor on dad’s appointment next week. I told her i would tell him that she wants us to not see u and see what he thought. Then she changed her tone.

Also I was taking a class from our local community college and i was supposed to be doing clinicals this weekend. I called the director and told her that i would be unable to attend and that i would make it up later. She became mad and was starting to yell at me over the phone so i calmly said that if i was parent and i had no child care no one would give me a hard time but it is parents that i have to make sure someone is there for to watch them, the college is completely different.

So i was very proactive yesterday. Yay me.

• Profile photo of CasandraCasandra

Very proactive! I love that. That RN needed to be put in her place. I hate when they are like that. And as for your Director, shame on her! How rude! Regardless of how she felt about the situation, she should have NEVER raised her voice at you or made you feel like your responsibilities were trivial.

5. Profile photo of donnadonna

Since I’m not an inherent risk-taker, I knew today’s challenge would be difficult for me. I’ll never jump out of a plane with a parachute strapped to my back, or volunteer to sing in front of a large crowd. Today I found myself in CVS, reaching for a box of Nice ‘N Easy in my usual color #117, Natural Medium Golden Brown. I paused, and decided to take a risk. Instead of the same tried and true shade, I went a different way…with color #118, Natural Medium Brown. Ok, so I didn’t take a giant leap on the color spectrum, but each journey must begin with baby steps. :)

6. Profile photo of TrishTrish

I didn’t intentionally take a risk but now that I’m thinking about it, I guess I did. I didn’t write a to-do list today yet seemed to get a lot more done! Yesterday, I had in the back of my mind that I might be at the hospital with Robert this weekend so it was almost like getting a bonus weekend when he woke up feeling better. I think I got more done because my mood was lighter and I was less worried which freed up some energy. (Not writing the to-do list was my risk!) :-)

7. Profile photo of CasandraCasandra

Okay, so I have been thinking about this all day. What kind of risk could I take? But you know what? The last three weeks, or should I say, the last month has been a HUGE risk, as I have moved from Arizona (out of my home State for which I loved) and to California (that which is foreign and far away from my family… okay, maybe not that far, LOL) but it is still a huge risk.

Also, I have been thinking about what I want to do job-wise now that I have to start over again. I want to do something I love while I have the chance not to just accept a job because I need the paycheck (even though I still need the paycheck, LOL) but because it is something I really want to do. So, I applied for three jobs today, outside of what I normally do, but still appropriate given my education and skills, that I have always really wanted to try. Another huge risk. Not just applying but if I get it, this will be huge because I have so much fear about changing from the healthcare field that I am so comfortable with. Although it is something I have always wanted to do and have dedicated my education to, it’s still very scary business and far outside of my comfort zone.

• Profile photo of TrishTrish

Casandra, I’ve admired you and your risk-taking ability! Good for you for taking those risks and much luck with finding a job you will enjoy going to (instead of having to go to). Fingers crossed! Keep us posted.

• Profile photo of ChrisChris

Hi Casandra,

I love this risk, stepping outside ones comfort zone is great. Good luck with the job search, let us know how it is going!

8. Profile photo of ejourneysejourneys

Richard @kreisler, Chris @thpurplejacket, Pegi @worriedwife, @tiredamy2007, @donna, @Trish, Casandra @comicvixen — I love that you all are stepping forward and going for the gusto! :D

Richard, I hope you can do the dive! (Brings to mind a quote from Ralph Blum’s Book of Runes: “When in deep water, become a diver.”)

Chris, I am cheering you on, both here and on MFP! Every day that you work toward a healthy goal is a healthy day!

Pegi, I echo the others here — that was no small risk! I hope the half-strength Gatorade and the antibiotics do the trick.

Amy, I am so proud of you! It’s hard to stand up to people when that isn’t in one’s temperament. You grabbed that bull (and BS) by the horns.

Donna, to paraphrase the saying, “A journey of a thousand hair colors begins with a single shade change!” ;-) Good for you for reaching beyond.

Trish, that is a huge risk for you! Congratulations on winging it and freedom!

Casandra, your risks are awesome! You are following your bliss. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you get the job of your dreams.

Like Chris’s risk, mine lies in a public commitment. I’ve been working with my journals and I plan to turn them into a book about my caregiving experience.

It’s not the work itself that I find daunting. I’ve got publications (including book-length) under my belt. On that score, I know I’ve got a lot of shaping and editing ahead of me and I am up for that. My trepidation lies in the difference between my partner’s perceptions and mine. I must be true to myself, but I also feel protective of her and her privacy.

So I will write in the way that comes most smoothly to me and I will leave the problem of names and identities for later. As I’ve told others many times, the job of a first draft is to be sloppy. :-)