Family members over-react and second-guess. Health care professionals won’t listen and jump to conclusions. Friends make assumptions based on their experiences, rather than on your day.
And then you’ll encounter a few who create a drama better than anything you could see on Broadway. They must be must be right at all costs, which means they try to make us wrong. They throw temper tantrums, toss accusations, manipulate with lies. They try to push our buttons in order to engage us in a battle. And, if they do, they win.
When those who love us want to engage us, we can enthusiastically say, “Yes!” When those who can’t love themselves want to engage us, we can simply walk away. We can’t be engaged. It’s how we keep the shine on our diamond.
- Cocooning (caregiving.com)
- My Mama Is a Rockstarr (caregiving.com)
- #%$*ty Weekend… (caregiving.com)
- How Would You Define “Family Caregiver?” (caregiving.com)
- Taking Vacations, Hallucinations, Dealing in General (caregiving.com)
- In Six Words, What Would You Say? (caregiving.com)
- I’m So Mad I Could… (caregiving.com)