Here are my general tips for caregivers and not necessarily in the order of importance. I am sorry that there is a little bit of a negative spin on mine as we have had some major shake ups in Nicole’s care and I am still trying to process it all. Actually, I have 13 tips that I thought of.
1. This is a wonderful tip from Holly… always keep something that is just for you outside of being a caregiver. This I suppose could be a hobby, a volunteer position, a home business etc. I am still trying to find my way in this area.
2. Always, always listen to and go with your gut because 98% of the time it will be right. If I had done this life would’ve been so much different for Nicole.
3. I know this is negative but at least in my case it is a reality… do not just trust the medical professionals and/or take their word for it without finding the same to be true yourself.
4. Organization is a key… keeping updated records for prescriptions, phone calls, etc. Have a binder, notebook, accordion file, smartphone etc., anything that will keep you organized when it comes to caregiving and your caree. For me, personally, I try to scan any records pertaining to Nicole into my computer but I always keep a paper copy. I also have pay an annual fee to have a backup of everything on my computer if something were to happen to it so I can access to this information from any computer.
5. Tape all appointments and phone calls if you can either with a tape recorder or your smartphone/iPad etc. I either tape all appointments on my phone or iPad and then later at some point I transcribe these notes. It has been a life-saver for me.
6. Write everything down. For me this includes all areas of my life. I have a daily calendar I use to write notes pertaining to Nicole in and then I have my planner where I write down everything else outside of Nicole. I try very hard not to write things on slips of paper etc.
7. Never assume anything.
8. No matter how difficult a setback find a way to regroup and bounce back. Find a way to dig down deep and find whatever faith you have to believe in that there will be something better than where you were at.
9. Always find some humor and learn how to laugh at yourself.
10. Take care of you… eat right, exercise, get enough rest, drink plenty of water. I have not arrived here but am working on it.
11. Get rid of clutter in your home, mind and body. Try to simplify as much as possible.
12. Never, never, never, no matter how bad things seem…have hope.
13. Do not take things personally.Related