On Saturday, Dec. 14th, Denise spoke with @bobmarcotte, who cares for his wife, Carole, about his life as a caregiver. You can visit Bob at his blog at www.besidesthecancer.org to learn more about how to purchase his book and his journey as a caregiver. Make sure to listen to the show and as always leave your comments below.
I don’t normally put in my opinion of a show on these recaps but I was listening to the recording in tears. So many things touched me that Bob said. I care for my teenage daughter not a spouse so the relationship is different but there was so many things I could relate to. “Get up” is great and when I first heard it I thought of Jesus’ parable from the Bible of the crippled man who had laid by the pool for years waiting for someone to help him into the pool to get healed. Jesus told him to get up.
I think the two things that Bob said that impacted me the most was “you don’t have to like it you just have to do it” and I hope that I got that right. I get stuck at I don’t like it and I don’t want to do it which keeps me there. I also loved your statement about caregiving being a privilege. I can so relate to getting mad at myself when I make a mistake and I tend to get stuck there a while that I waste time, energy etc. Carole is one lucky lady to have a husband like Bob.
Jane “The Roving Reporter”
- How Employers Can Help Their Caregiving Employees (caregiving.com)
- 10 Tips for Family Caregivers: 10 Great Apps (caregiving.com)
- Little Difference in Caregiving Responsibilities Between Working and Non-Working Family Caregivers (caregiving.com)
- Managing Your Caregiving Fears (caregiving.com)
- Tell Us: How Do You Transition from a Caregiving Mindset? (caregiving.com)
- Friday Video Chat: What If Employers Offered a Caregiving Leave? (caregiving.com)
- Tell Us: How Did You Tell a New Employer About Caregiving? (caregiving.com)