Thursday: We stayed in today for a day to rest after the holidays. I did set Mom’s pills up for the week.
Friday: Chiropractor, dialysis, pharmacy, and laundry today. When we got up regular temp was -11 and wind chill was -23. Predicted to be wind chills of -50 to -60 over the weekend and beginning of the week.
Saturday: Normal cares and shopping today for cleaning supplies.
Sunday: Normal cares today. Homemade turkey noodle soup today and Phase 10 cards. -8 F air temperature with -17 F wind chill today when got up. By the time I am getting ready for bed it is -4 F air temperature -31 F wind chill. Schools in the area have already closed for tomorrow and some for Tuesday already with predicted wind chills being -50 F to -60 F.
Monday: -30 F Air temperature with a -48 F wind chill. Car would not start and back-up transportation was also unavailable because of cold. Had to reschedule Mom’s dialysis treatment for tomorrow morning and we had to start our disaster emergency plan for delayed treatment. The CMO has a back-up transportation set up for tomorrow morning. I brought the car battery in to warm it up and see if that would help. I had to miss Your Caregiving Journey with the additional responsibility that occur under our disaster plan to help keep Mom comfortable with less water, even lower sodium diet, much more rest with feet up and more monitoring. The good thing is it is not too hot out with the very little amount of water as she dehydrates easy in the summer and her normal water amount is almost not enough during the summer. This is the first exercise of our disaster plan and I think we are going to have to review our plan with her nephrology doctor and the dialysis center as the plan is supposed to be able to be sustained for three to four days but I do not think that she could handle it!
Tuesday: Air temperature is -15 F with a -31 F Wind chill when getting up. Most schools in the area also closed today. Car still will not start; sent Mom with back-up transportation to dialysis. Back-up transportation gave us a 15-minute window for arrival and they arrived 15 minutes later than that and made multiple stops on they way to pick up and drop more people off getting her to dialysis 10 minutes late. Fortunately they were running late at the dialysis center and she was able to get her full treatment. Installed “cometchat” to chat on caregiving.com today. Was able to get Mom, my friend and myself out to the holiday party of a club that my friend and I belong to as Mom and I were able to ride the handicapped bus that my friend had set up to get there. We had a very good time.
Wednesday: Air temperature this morning is -9 F but no wind so wind chill is -9 F. Sent Mom by back-up transportation they were on time relatively today. About 5 minutes late from the 15 minute window they gave us but this was to be a direct ride so she was there in time. I have been working with car to get it going. So far I have had a frozen battery, frozen fuel line. I am awaiting the battery to finish fully charging to try the car again as we now have the fuel line unfrozen but the battery is showing low even after having inside two days.
- Advocating Can Be a Dirty Job or I Went Kaboom (caregiving.com)
- Hospital Stay or Hotel California? (caregiving.com)
- Update: End of 2013 (caregiving.com)
- Being Thankful (caregiving.com)
- I Think the Time for Hospice May Be Soon (caregiving.com)
- An RN from Hospice Comes Today (caregiving.com)
- 94 Years Old and Home For Christmas… (caregiving.com)
- “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.” (caregiving.com)