Is this my career? Organizing meds? Holding the phone and my temper as I wait and wait for an answer? Filing paperwork that never ends? This is my life’s work?
We all want careers which feel fulfilling, challenging, rewarding. We want to climb the corporate ladder, take on more responsibility and bring home more bacon. We want to feel appreciated, to know that our work matters, to feel proud that we make a difference.
All that seems to happen in the cube at work. In the room at home, it all just seems to be about doing, redoing and then doing again.
This caregiving seems to be as far from the thrill of a career as possible.
What if a career of advocating, helping, caring is the pinnacle of our life’s career? What if this career of caregiving is really the promotion that gives as much back to us as it takes?
Maybe you can’t get a raise during a caregiving career. Perhaps you can’t be chosen Employee of the Month. Maybe you can’t take a sick day or accrue enough vacation time.
You can, though, manage the care and keep of life’s most precious cargos–you, your caree, your family. In caregiving, you are CEO. And, your role as CEO will prove to be one of your life’s most treasured jobs.
- Caregiving Happiness Project: February Action (caregiving.com)
- Caregiving Slogan Contest: Hire a Family Caregiver (caregiving.com)
- Video Chat: Family Caregivers Talk Career and Caregiving (caregiving.com)
- Friday Chat: Paid Family Leave Overview (caregiving.com)
- In Ten Words, How Would You Describe Your Life Path? (caregiving.com)
- Save the Date: Virtual Caregiving Conference on March 30 (caregiving.com)
- Tell Us: What’s Your Art Exhibit? (caregiving.com)
- 17 Reasons Why Caregiving Makes You Awesome (caregiving.com)
- A Life Line: Our Most Important Work Happens Outside the Cube (caregiving.com)
- Friday Chat: A “Caregiving Tract” for Working Family Caregivers? (caregiving.com)