So I’ve taken on more time to be with her. Our caregiver is usually late in the morning or stays overtime waiting for someone to pick her up. This has become unacceptable to Mom and me so we have cut her weekly hours. We do not know yet whether she will accept or decline these new hours. Tomorrow or later today we will know her final decision.
I am in particular very disappointed with this agency, her employers. They overcharged us during a month. They did not let us know our caregiver was not under contract as her previous one with them was. So we also have been paying her extra for days she was not working at our request. And they did not tell our caregiver to not phone us when she was late but to phone them as they told us was their policy. This all is very unsettling.
I guess the hardest part for Mom – the patient – and me is accept our caregiver sitting and reading magazines while “working.” Or coming late after many, many requests to arrive on time and get Mon ready for the day. When she arrives late, she has a cup of tea and starts ready the supply of magazines available.
So, when my sister from Florida arrived Friday and Saturday we remade the schedule to better fit Mom and I and also allow the caregiver to arrive later and leave earlier. A jobs/chores list was also assigned for the three days we asked her to come. It looks great!
Today is Sunday and since the caregiver’s schedule of previously–and basically uselessly forty hours Monday through Friday times–we await her answer regarding the new schedule and policies.
Just as we changed our minds about the whole situation, she can do the same.
My sister, Mom, and I all three await her decision.
- Caregiving Slogan Contest: Hire a Family Caregiver (caregiving.com)
- Friday Chat: A “Caregiving Tract” for Working Family Caregivers? (caregiving.com)
- Save the Date: Virtual Caregiving Conference on March 30 (caregiving.com)
- How Does Caregiving Make You an Invaluable Employee? (caregiving.com)
- Video Chat: Family Caregivers Talk Career and Caregiving (caregiving.com)
- Our Caregiving Year in Review (caregiving.com)
- Friday Chat: Paid Family Leave Overview (caregiving.com)