Beginning This Week

(Editor’s Note: Today we welcome a new blogger, Penny, who cares for her husband, Carl. You can connect with Penny on her profile page: @penmen.)

This week will start the preparation for Carl going on dialysis. On Wednesday, he has an appointment with the urologist and the anesthesiologist. The 15th will be the day of his surgery.  It will be done in his right forearm.  That’s making him a little nervous; he’s afraid of losing the strength in that arm because he’s right-handed.  I try to reassure him that it will be fine and once he’s on dialysis he’ll start to feel better.  I don’t think he totally believes me. He knows I have no real experience in this, it’s just as new to me as it is to him. I am doing a lot of reading about dialysis and we watched a DVD about it.  There’s so much to learn.  On the 21st he has an appointment with the pulmonary doctor for his COPD.

In addition to Carl’s appointments, I have my own.  On Monday, I have an ultrasound on my legs and then I see the vascular surgeon on the 16th for the report. On the 23rd, I have an appointment with a movement disorder doctor for the Tardive Dyskinesia I have from taking Reglan. On the 30th, I start a Research Program for the peripheral vascular disease. I’m hoping to get the real drug and not the placebo.  In the afternoon I see the ophthalmologist for glaucoma.

In between all the appointments someone from the VA Hospital will be coming to the house to evaluate everything so Carl could use peritoneal dialysis at home. We’re hoping this will be possible. It’s done through a catheter in his stomach lining, during the night while he sleeps. It could be done every night and give him much better days. It means the additional surgery, but he’s willing to go through that.  There will also be an appointment for Carl to be evaluated to be a candidate for a transplant.

We have a full plate this month but a lot of positive things happening. I hope we get some positive reports from the doctors.

Carl is keeping himself busy. He has two boats in the driveway to repair.  He does this in his spare time. He’s also building a canoe in the garage.  He takes the dog to the dog park or for a walk around the neighborhood.  We babysit our son’s dog during the week also.

I’m staying busy with all my plants and spending time on the computer. I do a lot of shopping on the computer, I think I can find better buys than at the stores. I’m also into baking and cooking. I go to the gym for a Silver Sneakers Program as often as possible, and try to do some walking in between everything else.

We have a great life together and we share it with our son and daughter-in-law. We live in one of the most beautiful places in the country.  There are beautiful views from all of our windows, and the mule deer visit us almost every day.  We’re very fortunate for what we have.

Cheyenne MountainIMG_0041Cheyenne Mountain

Mule Deer Visiting

13 thoughts on “Beginning This Week

1. Janet Willis

Penny, having a positive attitude helps get through your day. You will be in our daily prayers.

• Penny

Thank you Janet. I do try to keep a positive attitude, every once and awhile I slip, but not often. I know things will be alright, we just have to give it time.
      I don’t know what brought you to CareGivers, but I hope things are well with you at this time.

Janet, I didn’t realize that you are just fresh from back surgery. I understand that’s a very tough surgery to undergo. I hope you’re doing well. I have to give you credit, babysitting after surgery like that. Please be careful, you can hurt yourself so easily after surgery. The thing you need most is rest. I hope you’re able to take the time to rest and just heal.
      With spring coming it will be so much better, everyone can get outside more. I think the fresh air works wonders, it can have the magic to make us all feel a little bit better.
      Take care of yourself, it’s nice to meet you.
      Penny

Hi Penny–I love how you end your post with your positives. I think beautiful scenery can be such a blessing–it’s calming and inspiring.

@donna cares for her husband, who receives dialysis at home. She may be a good resource for you.

I’m glad you’ve joined us. :) I have a feeling I have a lot to learn from you. !!

Hoping the week goes okay. Please keep us posted as you can.

Thank you Denise. You’re so right, the scenery here does help me tremendously. In the morning when I’m getting ready for the day I look out at the mountain and it always gives me peace. We’re very lucky to be able to live here.
      I will contact @donna. I’m curious about the differences, what pros and cons there are. Thank you.

3. Avatar of donnadonna

Hi, Penny-
    I’m so glad you’re here. Please know I am here to support you with whatever you need. I will tell you that it definitely gets easier…and you can do this! This month marks a year that we’ve been doing peritoneal dialysis at home. We are so thankful that it’s an option, and have no regrets.

4. Avatar of PegiPegi

Penny, so glad to see you here and blogging. What a busy week you have ahead! It sounds like you and your husband are leading and active and lovely life. Keep it up! What beautiful pictures of the area you are in, look forward to reading more. Good luck on all those appointments this week, here for whatever I can offer. @Donna is so right, it does get easier and you will be able to do this. We’re all here to support.

5. Avatar of MichaelMichael

Greetings. I am a newbie here. I find myself on this same journey. My partner’s kidneys failed last year and we started PD in the early summer after 6 months of hemo. I will be very interested to hear about your experiences and am wishing you bith well.

6. Avatar of EllysGdaughterEllysGdaughter

Welcome Penny! It’s good to hear your positives! Your scenery is certainly beautiful. My BIL is undergoing dialysis but hasn’t shared anything with us but we continue to learn from those who are going thru it, how to pray for him! I too enjoy baking and cooking :)

Hello EllysGdaughter. It’s nice to hear from you. Thank you for the compliment about the scenery. It is beautiful, and it just keeps on getting better with the change of the seasons. I look forward to all of them, they all have something so different to offer you can’t help but love it.
      I’m finding so many people know someone that is on dialysis. I hope things are going well for your Bill. I hear from so many people that the person feels better after going on dialysis. They can sometimes have some upset during it, but almost always feel better afterwards.
      My husband did well with his appointments yesterday. Tuesday they will do surgery for the fistula. I just heard from someone that had the tube in the chest, and he went from that to the Peritoneal Dialysis. Now he’s trying to get okay-ed for a transplant. He said it’s constant appointments also.
      So nice meeting you. I really enjoy hearing from everyone about what they’re up to, it’s a nice break in the day. Stay well and enjoy the season.
      Penny

7. Avatar of MariaMaria

Penny,
    HI! My Grandfather was on dialysis for the last five years of his life. He had great nurses at dialysis. Hope your husband is able to do it home instead of going to a dialysis center. Hoping you had a good week. I also enjoyed the pictures of your yard. After a long hard winter I am certainly ready for summer!
    Maria

Maria thank you for writing. It’s so nice of everyone taking the time to write, it makes my day even though the main topic isn’t the greatest to discuss. But I get little bits and pieces from everyone that adds up to a lot of help.
      Can I ask how old your Grandfather was when he passed away? I don’t know why I ask, Carl is 71, but his mother lived to 96. His 2 sisters are in their 80′s and doing fine, just a little arthritis. It just makes me wonder.
      I’ll talk to you again Maria. Maybe I’ll also add more pictures soon.

• Mariakeil

Penny,
        Good to hear back from you!
        My Grandfather was 92 when he died . He had a brain bleed in April of 2011 had surgery to relieve the pressure in his brain had 3,good weeks in rehab. After 3 weeks in rehab he developed MRSA and Staph. He spendt 2 weeks in the hospital and after that he decided to end dialysis and he passed away 5 days later. He was on dialysis due to renal hypertension,
        Maria