My First Post: My Husband Is in a Personal Care Home

(Editor’s Note: Tonight we welcome Darla, to our blogging team. You can connect with Darla on her profile page: @darla233.)

pulse-trace-163708_640This (blogging) is a new endeavor for me. My husband Myron has been in a personal care home for the past almost two months. I thought I was handling the stress well but yesterday evening while visiting him I had very bad chest pains. The nurse there called 911 and I ended up spending the night in the hospital while they checked out my heart.

Unfortunately, Myron was there in the room as they loaded me on the stretcher and was very anxious and upset. The woman who oversees the Memory Care unit sat with him and kept reassuring him he did nothing wrong because he keep thinking is was his fault. I also assured him he didn’t do anything wrong.

They finally released me this morning and my sister and her husband picked me up and took me over to my car and I went in and visited with Myron. He was happy and tearful that I was okay. Tonight I visited and we sat and read a book for a while. He still wants to come home or have me stay there but was okay once he went to bed.

I still have to get a chemical stress test has i have a bad right foot and can’t walk on a treadmill yet. Then I need to make appointments with the cardiologist and my PCP. They are not sure if the problem is my heart or acid reflux but as a precaution gave me a prescription for Nitro Glycine in case the pain comes back.

Personally, I think it is acid reflux from the stress but since heart problems runs in my family I will pay attention to the doctors.

8 thoughts on “My First Post: My Husband Is in a Personal Care Home

1. Avatar of SueSue

You have so much to deal with – I am glad to hear you are out of the hospital and ready to follow up with your doctor. I will be thinking of you and sending best wishes for a quick resolution to your health concerns. Take good care of yourself right now.

• Darla233

Thank you for the kind words. I intend to listen to the doctors. I don’t want to put myself or Myron through this again.

2. Avatar of JanetJanet

You need to take care of yourself. There has been too many times the caregiver gives out before the the career does. Rest and listen to the DR’s.

• Darla233

I understand and know I need to take care of me so I can take care of him. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate hearing from you.

Hi Darla–I am so glad you started blogging! I look forward to more posts. :)

What a scary, scary situation for you and your husband. I can only imagine what must have been racing through your head when you were having the chest pains. It’s important to listen to your body–and the chest pains are certainly like a like scream.

You’ve had such a stressful few months. You are doing all that you can to ensure your husband receives quality care and is safe. It’s a heartbreaking situation, though. So much changes, which means you have so much adjusting to do. And, none of this is really your choice.

I hope you feel better today and continue to feel better with each day.

4. Avatar of TrishTrish

Welcome, Darla! So nice to have you here. Oh my gosh – what a scare for both of you! It’s good to listen to the doctors and as the others said, to your body too. I look forward to reading more of your story! Take care.

5. Avatar of janjan

Thanks for taking this first step, Darla, in finding this website and the great people who connect here. We appreciate your taking the time from your needs to share your story. Please continue to keep us filled in on the results from your tests and how things go as you and your husband share this part of your life.

6. Avatar of LIsa MLIsa M

Welcome Darla – so sorry about your recent scare. I can’t imagine. I hope you are able to find the same kind of stress relief in writing that I have found…it’s good to get it out.