Tell Us: What’s Your Shawshank Redemption?

chiselSeveral years ago, we had a conversation about movies on the website. One of our members who cared for his mom suggested the movie, “The Shawshank Redemption.” When I mentioned that I had not seen the movie, the member was incredulous. “It’s a must-see,” he said.

I watched the movie soon after his comment and then totally understand his appeal that I must see it. When you feel trapped by life’s circumstances, this movie provides the inspiration to map your way to better.

So, I wonder: What’s your shawshank redemption? What do you do every day that keeps you moving into your future, that provides a vision for your future, that gives you energy to get to tomorrow? Your shawshank redemption could be creating crafts, reading books, taking an online class, writing in your journal, blogging here, walking. It’s a seed you plant every day that you watch grow in value each day.

It’s your small daily purpose, just for you, that will become your future. For instance, your daily walks take you to a healthier tomorrow. Your online class ensures you have up-to-date skills when you re-enter the workforce.

So, tell us: What’s your shawshank redemption?

Profile photo of Denise

About Denise Brown

10 thoughts on “Tell Us: What’s Your Shawshank Redemption?

1. Profile photo of janjan

In Ohio I live in what is called “The Snot Capital of the World”. (no kidding, it really is). The skies are always overcast and people with sinus cry. In Florida, I have the pleasure of getting up every morning at 5, walking two miles, and then studying the incredible dark early morning sky before my mother gets up. The study of the stars has brought me such a reminder of the timeless nature of life, the solidity of life when it seems so unsafe, the predictability of life when it seems so uncertain.

2. Profile photo of Donna BatesDonna Bates

My “Shawshank Redemption” was my silent planning for my future. Detailed in my head, how things would play out, having my plan so memorized to the tiniest of detail that others will be blown away by my precision. Timing is everything. Waiting, waiting, and more waiting but then it happens. With calmness of years of planning, you walk the path you have been planning without looking back.

3. Profile photo of dianediane

I paint. Plein air with a group I sought out, and by myself. It helps me forget about this non-life I’m leading. Also, reading, Yoga and my recumbent bike. I used to try and plan a future, but it seems it will always be more of the same.

4. Bootsie

If I had to say only one thing it would be my faith in God. Weekly church services at my church of 50 + years brings me lots of comfort. In between there is reading, social media and as soon as it gets cooler I will be back on my bicycle.

5. Profile photo of ChristineChristine

I wasn’t sure where you were going with this question. I love the Movie and the author of the book. Then I thought about it. I try and ride my bike in the morning before everyone wakes up and I am in demand. I haven’t been able to the last couple of mornings because of rain. Today I overheard a dear woman who has had a leg amputated who goes around our block on her scooter tell my husband that she loves watching me ride my bike. She told him she loves seeing my smile and the joy it shows every morning. It made me feel special that someone noticed me and I could put a smile on a strangers face. I will be riding my bike around the block with even a bigger smile from now on.

• Profile photo of LIsa MLIsa M

Christine, I love this story. You just never know who you are inspiring! What a blessing for you to now know…keep riding! Keep smiling!

6. Profile photo of TrishTrish

Writing. It brings me a happiness that I don’t even realize until I haven’t done it in a while and then return to it. It I have no concept of time when I am writing and I love it. (Love that movie, too).

7. Profile photo of DeniseDenise Post author

Mine are: Writing, riding my bike, spending time with my nieces and nephews, and reading stories of courage like the ones we share here. :)

8. Profile photo of LIsa MLIsa M

I swim. As many mornings as I can – just 40 minutes, but feeling the power in my arms and legs, gliding through the water and the wonderful peace of being underwater. It makes the days easier. Also writing. I think I might explode if I never got it out!