Dad went to the orthopedic surgeon who performed the surgery for his partial hip replacement today, Friday, February 14th. Great Valentine’s gift. X-rays are good. He still has to remember certain rules: don’t cross your leg, don’t bend over at a ninety degree angle, don’t raise your leg past a ninety degree angle, and listen to your daughter. He will see the doctor/surgeon again in 6 weeks.

This week has been a hallmark week. The doctor said his lungs sound clear, his pressure sores on his heels have improved and his hip looks great. Now we will get Dad’s emotions under control with a prescription for depression. He now has a working TV in the bedroom and one in the Living Room. He was crying tears of joy when he had seen what we had done with the TV situation. Direct TV upgraded their service to wireless boxes. He can watch whatever he wants wherever he wants, eat his popcorn, and if he gets up in the middle of the night he will be entertained until he falls asleep again.

The doctor suggested Boost and Ensure which we immediately stopped to get at the store. He actually likes them. He has had two today. He can supplement his popcorn lunch with Ensure or Boost. He now weighs 129 lbs. He has gained 5 lbs this week. He had meatloaf for dinner last night, my aunt dropped off three different soups during the week, and he actually had an egg burrito instead of tater tots. He likes the market salad with chicken nuggets from Chik-fil-A. He must eat more protein for those pressure sores to heal. He’s following doctors’ orders. He has seen 4 different doctors: podiatrist, orthopedic surgeon, primary, and a lung specialist.

Mom has been a trooper this week. She calls us when Dad wants to get out of bed. The bed alarm is still a good thing. He won’t use the tools they gave him to put his shoes and socks on, but he has the Velcro surgical shoes for the pressure sores on his heel. We added rails on each end of the bed so Dad could get out of bed without bending over at a ninety degree angle. He succeeded and is more independent now. We still have to help him with his pants, socks and shoes. Therefore the bed alarm will stay on the bed.

About anneda

I was born and raised in El Paso, Texas. I married Greg after college and started teaching the same year. He was a horse trainer, and I sold tickets at the track working my way through college. After 17 years, we needed a change and we moved to Las Vegas, NV. We moved the summer of '89 when my daughter was 7. I rarely went home to visit. My parents are in their early 90s and during a visit Christmas, 2017, Dad pleaded for help. Although my brother was living with them, Mom needed me. I told him I would help when I retired. Here I am. Little did I know that this would turn into a full time job. Helping and living away from home has been difficult. I've decided to write about my experience on my personal pages, support groups and in this forum to reflect and get support as I deal with unfamiliar and new situations.


1 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
1 Comment authors
Denise Recent comment authors
newest oldest most voted
Please notify me:

I am so glad your wonderful update, Anita. Thank goodness for such a good week! Wishing you a good weekend including time for your rest.