On Saturday, February 8, the health aide came to look at Dad’s pressure sore on the heel.  Just before the health aide took Dad to the room, the physical therapist arrived.  The prognosis was not good.  It looked worse this morning and the other heel was beginning to develop that dreaded black spot when it was clear at the podiatrist’s office. Dad was told to stay in bed.  The whining began, but the physical therapist (Elizabeth) and the health aide both began talking at the same time and told Dad it was imperative he stay off his feet for the next two weeks.  Yikes!  Tears welled in Dad’s eyes.  Seems like they both knew how much he wanted to get back on the golf course and that was their suggestion.  He now has a goal.  He wants to get better so he can play golf again.  Otherwise, and they went through all the scenarios from better to worse.  The worst wasn’t  what Dad wanted to hear.  Therefore, he is resigned to staying in bed and getting better.  No more whining, no more dreadful statements.  He will get better.

The rest of the day and Sunday it was just us.  No caregiver, no therapists, no nurse, etc.  On Saturday afternoon, I had to call the nurse because Dad was doing the same thing in the afternoon and beginning his anxiety “attack”.  I told him I would call the nurse, 911, or the doctor.  NO! he pleaded.  It isn’t that bad…I’m OK .  I left the house to get a stethoscope, the oxygen reader, a urinal and some more commode liners.  I called Matrix, the company in charge of home care.  She told me the best thing to do when Dad made those dreadful statements is to distract him.  Give him something else to think about.  I thought about it on the way home.  I brought the stethoscope, and took the portable air conditioner out of my room, (told him it was the humidifier), showed him the pulse oximeter, and reassured him he was very healthy considering he had pneumonia, a hip replacement, and pressure sores on his heel.

My brother and I cleared off the dresser, when Dad asked why we told him we were moving the TV into the room.  He smiled.  We proceeded and it was quite a task.  I had to go back to the store to buy the 50-ft. coaxial cable to reach the bedroom.  I bought 100 foot just to make sure.  It worked.  Dad could watch his directTV on the SmartTv.  He quickly tuned his programs and deleted some old recordings.  He was trying to record new programs and there the problems began.

I’ll have to ask DirectTv to install another mini client in his bedroom.  He could still watch his DirectTv programs that were recorded and regular programming.  If he is to remain in bed for as long as the doctor advised, it will be better to install one in his bedroom.

Overall, it turned out to be a good weekend.  The nurse will come again to change the dressing/bandage, the therapists will be here and both caregivers will start the week.  My afternoon caregiver will come at 9:00 am  (maybe I can take a shower after Mom’s bath), and the other will come when she leaves for a few hours.  I need some rest after this long and busy weekend.


About anneda

I was born and raised in El Paso, Texas. I married Greg after college and started teaching the same year. He was a horse trainer, and I sold tickets at the track working my way through college. After 17 years, we needed a change and we moved to Las Vegas, NV. We moved the summer of '89 when my daughter was 7. I rarely went home to visit. My parents are in their early 90s and during a visit Christmas, 2017, Dad pleaded for help. Although my brother was living with them, Mom needed me. I told him I would help when I retired. Here I am. Little did I know that this would turn into a full time job. Helping and living away from home has been difficult. I've decided to write about my experience on my personal pages, support groups and in this forum to reflect and get support as I deal with unfamiliar and new situations.

Please notify me: