Denise Brown, Speaker, Facilitator, Moderator
Denise Brown, Speaker, Facilitator, Moderator
Since 1996, Denise has been regularly researching the family caregiver experience. She also conducts an ongoing survey tracking the stress of the caregiving experience. She recently added an annual survey of those who work and care for a family member. Check out her caregiving research.
In 1997, Denise began an ongoing project of staging the family caregiver experience. She regularly refines her six stages to reflect the current challenges faced by family caregivers. Review the stages of caregiving.
Next Avenue named Denise a 2017 Influencer in Aging, one of “50 advocates, researchers, thought leaders, innovators, writers and experts who continue to push beyond traditional boundaries and change our understanding of what it means to grow older.”
Denise annually organizes and hosts the National Caregiving Conference. At NCC, family caregivers and former family caregivers are the experts, which means they present and participate in panel discussions. Attendees to our Third Annual National Caregiving Conference, which convened November 8-11, 2018, said:
"It was amazing. I had lost the last person/my mother in close proximity to the conference. While I wasn't sure if it made sense to attend the conference, it ended up being a very helpful and healing process to do so. Thank you Denise and everyone I encountered over the two days. You helped."
"WOW! How jammed packed full of awesome sessions this was. I wish I had at least 2 more days there to be able to take it all in. There was so much to learn! I felt like I was back in high school changing classes again and it felt wonderful. I met so many incredible people/caregivers. I shared like I've never shared before. Thank you, Denise, for helping make this possible!!! I look forward to next year and as soon as you have a time and place (don't forget how warm it is here in Florida!) I will be sharing with other caregivers and friends. I'm pretty sure everyone knew my name by the time I left. Lots of warmhearted people there."
"Fantastic to be together. Important to define ourselves individually as "caregiver" and significantly as a group. Loved seeing all the initiatives. More clear than ever this is a very defined niche market."
"Absolutely excellent presentations and networking opportunities."
"Made new, meaningful friendships."
"It was an amazing experience to connect with warm, compassionate caregivers and to hear their stories. It was unlike any conference I have ever attended."
"The conference was WONDERFUL!"
"Wonderful event! Great range of session topics. Speakers were thoughtful and very gracious in sharing tips and personal experiences."
"A truly amazing and inspirational event, felt so much love and warmth from so many people."
"I watched it virtually and I am hoping to be there in person next year to hear more presentations. It was very informational and hearing other caregivers stories including some tips and tricks will help current and future caregivers."
"I felt welcomed! Appreciated! Most exhausting week/weekend that I loved!!"
"This was a phenomenal conference! All of the speakers were informative and engaged. I learned a lot and connected with many wonderful family caregivers."
"It is always comforting to be surrounded by people who are in a similar situation. I found that to be true at this conference, with friendly, accepting people everywhere. Most of the sessions were helpful and I will be sharing a lot of good stuff with the care partners I help."
"Amazing, awesome, fulfilling, engaging!"
"Very informative and inspiring.I learned a great deal."
"It just keeps getting better and better every year!"
"I work with families facing very complex, difficult care-giving situations, and very much appreciate the sophistication and depth of all the presentations I attended. Thanks so very much, Denise, for this wonderful conference."
"The sense of collaboration and caring among the presenters and those in attendance was empowering."
"The love, warmth and caring I felt from so many people thought the entire weekend was truly awe inspiring."
"Thank you for this amazing experience!! This was my first time attending and a last minute decision to attend this event. I'm so glad I did!! I was very impressed by all the information and resources available all in one place."
"HUGE kudos for a wonderful conference! I was so impressed with the quality of speakers, presentations, documentaries, activities, and attendees."
In 2017, Denise organized and hosted Caregiving and the Workplace Summit, which now takes happens during the National Caregiving Conference.
In January 2016, Denise debuted the Certified Caregiving Consultant training program which helps former family caregivers launch a business to help current family caregivers. The program also helps professionals who work with family caregivers communicate effectively and offer the right resource at the right time. She developed and launched a workplace training program, Caregiving Sensitivity Training for Employers and Managers, in 2017.
In March 2011, Denise launched CareGifters, an initiative which funds caregiving solutions, one family caregiver at a time. Through CareGifters, Denise raises money to send money to family caregivers in need. To date, 30 family caregivers have each received $500 to solve a pressing caregiving problem.
Denise receives invitations to speak at a various events and participate in panels, round-table discussions and reports about issues faced by family caregivers and potential solutions that can help including:
- Guest Lecturer: The Family Caregiver's Stress, Loyola University School of Social Work, February 2018 and February 2019
- Guest Lecturer: The Family Caregiver's Stress, University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, May 2018 and May 2019
- Presenter: The Future of Caregiving, Third Annual National Caregiving Conference, November 2018
- Presenter: The Caregiving Years, Six Stages to a Meaningful Journey, Society of Certified Senior Advisors Annual Conference, August 2018
- Panelist: National Family Caregiving Policy - What Might the RAISE Act Inspire, HCBS National Home & Community Based Services Conference, August 2018
- Presenter: Healing Your Caregiving Hurts, 2018 Family Education Retreat, Alzheimer's Association, Greater Illinois Chapter, April 2018
- Keynote: The Caregiving Years, Six Stages to a Meaningful Journey, Brethren Village, Lancaster, Penn., November 2017
- Caregiving expert: LifeSpeak Well-Being Platform for Employers, May 2017
- Keynote: The Caregiving Years, Six Stages to a Meaningful Journey, Elder Service Providers Annual Caregivers Conference, Bellingham, Wash., March 2017
- Panelist: Aging in Place, eHI 2016 Annual Conference and Member Meeting, February 2016;
- Round-table participant: Family Matters in Caregiving and Technology Adoption round-table discussion, part of an Aging Well Expert series sponsored by Philips and Georgetown University McDonough School of Business, April 2015;
- Panelist: Our Aging Market: Why Businesses Need to Respond sponsored by Harvard Business School Alumni Association of Boston, March 2015;
- Round-table participant: Catalyzing Technology to Support Family Caregivers sponsored by National Alliance for Caregiving, California Healthcare Foundation, Kaiser Permanente, Intel- GE Care Innovations and Institute for the Future, April 2014;
- Community peer reviewer: Family Caregivers Are Wired for Health, Pew Research Center, June 2013.
Between 1999 and 2018, Denise has led Lunch and Learn workshops at employers located in the Midwest on behalf of Employee Assistance Programs and Work/Life Benefit companies. Her seminars consistently are rated “Excellent” or “Very Good” by attendees.
Attendees to Denise's recent presentations say:
- “Amazing presentation!!!”
- “Denise was absolutely wonderful! She spoke with humor, passion and poignance. Her oh-so-important message was augmented by her hilarious and tender stories around her own family caregiving experiences. Denise’s talk was for me a perfect ending to a wonderful conference.”
- "This is a belated note to say how much I enjoyed hearing you speak at the HCBS conference last week. You were warm, down-to-earth and compelling."
- "Many thanks for your terrific presentation. Everyone just loved it. You gave each person in the room permission to feel confused and frustrated and challenged. Caregivers need that."
Denise hosts podcasts which delve into discussions about caregiving issues and organizes a weekly Twitter chat for family caregivers and former family caregivers. Anyone who cares is welcome to join #carechat which happens on Tuesdays at 1 p.m. ET.
She is the author of nine books that provide insights, comfort and hope to those who care:
--The Caregiving Years, Six Stages to a Meaningful Journey;
--Take Comfort, Reflections of Hope for Caregivers;
--Take Comfort, Too, More Reflections of Hope;
--Take More Comfort, Reflections of Hope for Caregivers:
--Take Even More Comfort, Reflections of Hope for Caregivers;
--After Caregiving Ends, A Guide to Beginning Again;
--Caregiving Lists of Your Courage, Hope and Resilience;
--Take Time, a Journal and Journey Toward Greater Happiness During an Unhappy Time (Caregiving);
--My Caregiving Journal, My Story of How I Care;
--Good Morning! Sunny Reflections to Start Your Day.
Her insights have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, US News & World Report, USA Today, SmartMoney.com, Time magazine and Chicago Tribune.
Virtual Caregiving Summit
Second Annual National Caregiving Conference
What We Think and Our Self-Care
Join our mailing list
Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter that includes caregiving tips, news, support and more.