maples-577058_640As I write this, my dad is doing laundry. "I hope I don't break this machine," he said, pointing to the washer, as I demonstrated how to use the dryer.

We're changing.

I changed the look of the website last night after our chat. The site has been crashing daily for a minute, which means a big crash could be around the corner. I minimized our design with the hopes that less is more will help stabilize the site. (We crashed again this morning so I tried a few other changes. Finding the cause of the crashes is a test of trial and error and my patience. I've got my fingers crossed that I've solved the problem and can no longer search for the needle in the haystack.)

After making the change with the site last night, I headed to bed to read my iPad before experiencing another kind of crash--beloved sleep. About 11:45 p.m., I heard my dad calling for me--his ostomy bag broke and he was soaked. He cleaned up, I changed his bag and then flopped back into bed.

I arrived at the hospital this morning at about 7:30 so I wouldn't miss my mom's doctor. Yesterday started the "she could be discharged tomorrow" fire drill. The hospital's inpatient rehab unit denied my mom so we needed to find rehab at a local nursing home.

I waited for the doctor in a waiting area outside my mom's room, working (and grimacing when the site crashed) and trying to manage my dad's anxiety over the discharge. I thought the situation would simply work itself out, as these fire drills often can be a waste of time. I did, however, call a few facilities, call Aetna about my mom's Medicare coverage, and secure a bed in a facility that's nearby and well-rated by Medicare. As you can probably tell, the discharge planner didn't do much except tell us that my mom will probably be discharged today.

And, they were wrong about that. The surgeon wants my mom to stay in the hospital until at least Monday as my mom just started a regular diet. "You almost died," he explained to her, "so it will take time for you to heal." My mom's eyes popped at that statement. "I didn't  want to know that," she said. He replied, "You do want to know that so you know that it will take time to get better."

Her doctor arrived at about 12:15 or so. He really feels my mom will do well in the hospital's the inpatient rehab unit and has a call into the rehab doctor to advocate on behalf of my mom. He wants my mom to be in the hospital as long as possible as she gets stronger every day, which will help her get accepted into the hospital's rehab unit.

So, my mom will have a positive change next week--a discharge from the hospital and a step closer to returning home. My dad now knows how to do laundry. Certainly, we've had some really tough changes. But, there's a few good changes along the way.

Like this article? Share on social


Sign in to comment


Hope everything has smoothed out by now and that the transition went well! I do some web work- I will message you. Maybe I can help with the website glitches.


So many details, changes, possibilities, options. How do normal people possibly negotiate all this, not to mention older adults who have no one to negotiate for them? I hope your mom continues to improve so she can be admitted to the rehab unit, and your dad continues to gain confidence as he waits for her to come home.


Hope these changes bring comfort. Always in prayer for you and your parents.

Lillie Fuller

I'm so happy for the good changes for you! You deserve a little good change. Congrats to your dad for wanting to know how to use the washer and dryer. I pray the Doctor's voice is enough to keep your mom in hospital rehab. Praying for you all. Love and hugs and prayers!