How Can They Reach You?
How Can They Reach You?
Title: Finding the Influential Family Caregivers
Day and Time: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, Noon ET (11 a.m. CT, 9 a.m. PT)
How often do you say (or think): Well, we’d like to try that (a support group, caregiving conference) but no one will show up. Your attendance to your caregiving events doesn’t just depend on passing out flyers and including a blurb in the paper. It’s about connecting with the influential family caregiver in your community who can make things happen. In this webinar, Denise will help you find those movers and shakers in your community.
In essence, I'm sharing ideas of how they can connect with you. I know you already call them for help; the problem, from my perspective, is that the staff doesn't create a relationship with you. And, you are such an incredible resource to them as they organize and hold caregiving events. (And, as a reminder, local Area Agencies on Aging receive funds to create programs and help for family caregivers.)
I'm sharing some simple suggestions on what they can do to reach you and keep in touch with you, including:
- In addition to support group meetings, offer monthly opportunities for family caregivers to connect with the agency staff, such as through evening office hours, a monthly "meet and greet" with staff and family caregivers, and a monthly teleconference to answer family caregivers' questions and share resources;
- Create a Twitter account to share community resources and links;
- Search for family caregivers in your community on Twitter and follow them;
- Involve family caregivers in the organization, such as members of the board and as part of any caregiving coalitions;
- Email a list of resources to every family caregiver who calls, including suggestions for help to those family caregivers you don't serve (for instance, Area Agency on Aging offices only serve family caregivers whose carees are ages 60 and older);
- Join Facebook fan pages of local media and other organizations to share about the organization and its upcoming events.
What ideas would you add to the list? I'm happy to share them with the professionals who join the webinar.
Next month, I'd love to have a few of you join the webinar for professionals to share your experiences in calling agencies and organizations for help. If you'd like to join me on the webinar, send me an email or a private message through the site.
Join our mailing list
Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter that includes caregiving tips, news, support and more.