Job Jar Day Is Saturday!
Job Jar Day Is Saturday!
Job Jar Day, A Family Caregiver Awareness Day, Takes Place the Last Saturday of Every Month
Caring for a family member or friend with a chronic illness can be lonely, overwhelming and exhausting. Because the focus becomes about the individual who needs care, tasks around the house end up on the bottom of the To Do list.
To lessen the load, even for a few hours, Caregiving.com encourages family and friends to help around the house of a family caregiver or a caree (the individual receiving care) on the last Saturday of every month. The next Job Jar Day takes place Saturday, June 29.
Not sure how you can help?
We've got suggestions; you can help with:
1. Installing grab bars in the caree's bathroom.
2. Adding no-skid backing on all throw rugs.
3. Weeding the garden.
4. Mowing the lawn.
5. Cleaning out the refrigerator.
6. Making and freezing enough meals to last a week.
7. Washing windows.
8. Re-painting areas on walls marked up by wheelchair traffic.
9. Giving the caree's bedroom a deep cleaning.
10. Cleaning the car that the family caregiver and caree use.
11. Getting caught up on laundry.
12. Mopping floors.
13. Organizing closets.
14. Re-arranging furniture to best accommodate care needs.
15. Removing stains on furniture and in carpeting.
Feel free to share more ideas in our comments section, below.
To help make the event a success, we’ve got a few tips for those family members and friends helping:
- Contact the family caregiver as soon as you begin to plan your visit. Ask the family caregiver: "I'm available to help on Saturday for two hours. When would be a good time for me to arrive? What can I help with?" You also can tell the family caregiver what you'll do: "I'll be over Saturday to cut the lawn and wash the car. What time would be a good time for me to come?"
- Bring flowers–they will be a reminder of your visit in the days that follow.
- Encourage the family caregiver to sit and relax. Assure him or her that you will take care of the details.
Thanks so much for helping the family caregiver in your life.
(Would you like to help spread the word? Join our Facebook fan page (www.facebook.com/CaregivingSupport) and share our Job Jar Day post. Thanks so much for your help!)
Job Jar Day is one of four Family Caregiver Awareness Days Caregiving.com has developed; Kiss a Caregiver, Cook for a Caregiver and BBQ for a Caregiver (new for 2013) take place throughout the year. Through these days, Caregiving.com hopes to create awareness of the family caregiver role within the community and within the family. And, they create opportunities for other family members to get involved. Sometimes, both family members and family caregivers struggle to communicate effectively with each other; the Awareness Days try to eliminate some of the communication anxiety. For more information, email Denise at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join our mailing list
Sign up to receive our monthly newsletter that includes caregiving tips, news, support and more.