In 2013, we launched a video program during which those who care or cared for a family member shared their stories. I’m so happy that Caregiving Stories returns on the first Wednesday of every month at at 8 p.m. ET (7 p.m. CT, 5 p.m. PT).
Here’s how our Caregiving Stories show works:
1. We’ll broadcast live on our YouTube channel, Caregiving Videos. We’ll also record our Caregiving Stories episodes so you can watch even if you can’t attend live.
2. Story tellers will have seven minutes (I’ll keep time for you) to tell a story about themselves. The story can be about caregiving. Or not. It just has to be about you. A good story has a beginning, middle and end. The best element of a good story is vulnerability. Anyone who cares or cared for a family member is eligible to tell a story.
3. We’ll share two stories every episode. The event will air live and will be recorded. To participate, you must be available for about one hour, beginning 30 minutes before our show airs and then until the show ends.
4. After both stories have been told, audience members can ask follow-up questions of our story-tellers.
5. Story tellers can read their stories or refer to notes. The story must be prepared and must be told within the allotted seven minutes.
6. Some questions to ask yourself as you consider whether or not to be a story teller:
- Why is this story important for me to tell?
- What will my audience learn about me when they hear my story?
- Am I ready to tell this story?
- Do I understand my story?
- Is this venue (a virtual one) the best audience to tell my story?
- Do I understand what I want by telling my story?
- Do I understand what my story means?
You don’t have to have the answers to all these questions but they help you think through your story and your readiness to tell it.
7. To sign up to tell our story during our next Caregiving Story episode, just complete and submit the form below. We’ll choose two to share for our show.
Not ready to tell your story? We’ll need you for our audience. Stay tuned for more details on how you can join our show.